Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Symbols used in Authority

Based on the first volume of Authority it seems like the creators are using symbols taken from other iconic comics and characters with some other real life symbols in the mix. For example part of Jenny Sparks costume is a union jack shirt, while in a different scene she is wearing a shirt bearing a symbol that resembles the logo for V for Vendetta. There are also two other characters that appear like imitations of Batman and Superman, Midnighter and Apollo. At this point in the story I'm not quite sure if this is intended to be a spoof on superhero comics or if it is simply using iconic symbols to help tell a unique interpretation of a superhero story.  

I was able to connect with this story so far based on the fact that it has many familiar elements found in almost all superhero comics. The cast of characters seem diverse and interesting while also being visually similar to superhero archetypes. However having only read the first issue, it is hard to tell where this story and its characters are heading. Is it more than what it appears to be on the surface?
I will say so far I enjoy the familiar feeling it has. The villain, Kaizen, has a very Fire Lord Ozai, from Avatar the Last Airbender, look and feel to him, which I find funny and cool.  

If I were to adapt this in to another medium, I would try to make it in to a television show. Im not sure if I would change anything based on what I have read so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment