Friday, May 6, 2016

Wide World of Comics

The first time I had heard of Heavy Metal was from a South Park episode back when I was in middle school. I think it was based on the movie version, but the episode was animated in that particular style of the movie and comic. I hadn't seen anything that looked like that visually, at the time I thought it was very weird and a bit ugly looking. Now after reading the comic for the first time, which I hadn't realized existed until taking this course, I still find it to be really weird and a bit ugly. But in a good way. This comic series is very punk. Its graphic in its depiction of violence and has a certain dark humor to it. In fact in most of the stories that I read the main character dies at the end in some horribly violent and creative manner. And I think thats awesome. It felt like eating junk food. Its probably bad for me but its just too damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment